Robin Lee Architecture have been appointed by London Borough of Bexley for the development of the Carnegie Building in Erith.
The 600m2 Carnegie Building spans over three floors in Erith Town Centre Regeneration Programme.
The building was designed as a Public library in 1906 by W Egerton. Built with monies from the Andrew Carnegie Fund, the library is a fine example of the ‘Free Renaissance’ style of library design. It is a two storey building over basement, predominately constructed of red brick with extensive stone enrichment and a slate hipped roof with cupola.
The building is Grade II Listed and has many external and internal features of architectural quality. The interior includes features such as marble columns at its entrance, wooden trussed roof with skylight. The main room is a single storey aisled space to rear, with side aisles divided from central bay by triple arcade, lit by lunettes.
Robin Lee Architecture will work closely with The Exchange to adapt the building to create a place for artists to make and exhibit work.
Erith Regeneration Programme
Using funds from the Mayor of London’s Growing Places Fund and London Regeneration Fund London Borough of Bexley hopes to regenerate a number of sites positioned at key gateway locations within the town alongside a number of improvements to public realm. This will help to create a step change in the quality of the built environment in the town and help to attract further private investment.